Hello fellow readers! Sharing some of my favorite recent reads. With lots of travel these past couple months, I have gotten a lot of good reading in. Some of the books were okay and some were great. Sharing the ones that topped my list recently! I would love to hear your favorites too!
- Educated This was a book that, when I read the description, I wasnt sure I would like. I usually do not tend to like memoirs or non-fiction. I am so glad I listened to all of the recs and best seller lists this is not your typical memoir. It follows a sheltered Mormon girl who is abused, shelter, and homeschooled by her anti-establishment parents. She does not receive much in education from them and overcomes all odds (and an unimaginable home life) to self-teach herself and further her education. Her education takes her from Cambridge to Harvard. One of the most interesting parts of the book is her continued pull home and inability to give up her abusive family.
2. Americas First Daughter As you may recall, I am a lover of historical fiction. This book is a mix of historical fiction and fact as it chronicles the life of Thomas Jeffersons daughter, Patsy Jefferson. Following her mothers death, Patsy becomes her fathers caretaker and follows him from post-revolutionary war America, to pre-revolution Paris, and back to America for his presidencies. While living at Monticello, she faces poverty, family hardships, and scandal with her fathers affairs with his slave. Not only did this book educate me more on this time period, it also gave me a different view of Jeffersons legacy.
3. Nine Perfect Strangers This is from the same author as Big Little Lies so you can expect the same great character development. It follows 9 people who have all traveled to a health resort seeking life improvement be it weight loss, recharge, or better health. The resort follows a strict protocol and it becomes obvious to the guests that they may be in for more than they have anticipated. I expected this to be a quick beach read, but I have enjoyed it being a longer, more in depth read!
4. Love and Other Words I would classify this as a beach read, but that may be influenced by the fact that I did read it on the beach It also has a quick pace and love story which usually classifies as a beach read in my mind! This book takes place in present time and follows Mary who is finishing her residency and planning a wedding, when she runs into her high school love. The story then alternates between present and flash backs to a story of intense high-school love, betrayal, and loss. It takes a couple turns you do not expect at all!
5. Where the Crawdads Sing Ah, I loved this book!! This book follows the local legend, Marsh Girl. She was a young girl who grew with abuse, neglect, and abandonment, but grew up to learn how to survive the area. She falls in love, becomes an author, and becomes a suspect in the murder of a local man. My description does not do the book justice trust me and read it
I would love to hear your favorite reads!